[kdepim-users] On going struggle to import KMail distribution list from KDE 3.5 or create new one (now using KDE 4.6)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:28:11 BST 2011

On 10/08/2011 11:55, Marc Deop wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2011 14:40:09 Gil Weber wrote:
>> Sinclair, again, thanks. I really appreciate the time you've put into
>> your answers. But still it's not working.   :o(
>>
>> 1) I saved a nine-name group following your directions.
>> 2) When I then try to look at the contents of the group it shows 0
>> contacts.
>> 3) I sent a test e-mail anyway to the (supposed) group.
>> 4) It bounced back to me as undeliverable, stating the message had been
>> addressed to<name of the group>@<name of my computer>.com
>>
>> But clearly I did not send the message to that non-existent address.
>> Rather, I sent it (or tried to send it) to 9 distinct e-mail addresses
>> that are in my address book.
>
> I'll describe what I did on my installation.
>
> 1 - New email
> 2 - Add people in the "To" field
> 3 - Click on "Save List..."
> 4 - Assign a name: "List to myself"
> 5 - Click "Save" and select the proper Addressbook (I selected Personal Contacts as I do not really trust the Google Contacts
> addressbook yet)
> 6 - Discard the created email
> 7 - Created a new email and used the "List to myself" address on the "To" field.
> 8 - Sent the email
> 9 - Everything worked fine, all my personal addressess got the email.
>
> I'm running KDE SC 4.7 on Archlinux.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Deop i Argemí

If this works it is great- this is what I wanted from start, so to
speak. However, as described by Gil and noted by Anne, the Groups/Lists
function is erratic in that it sometimes defaults to the
"myid at mycomputer.mydomain" address, wherever it now picks up that.

I have noted that sometimes I can sort that problem by removing and then
adding an address to the suddenly misbehaving list/group. Have no idea
why/how and I am as upgraded as I can be on Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.7 -
though still (back) on Kontact 4.4/ KMail 1.

Best,
Sinclair

btw if Anne W does not have the answer then noone does but maybe the
active developer ;-)