[kdepim-users] On going struggle to import KMail distribution list from KDE 3.5 or create new one (now using KDE 4.6)

Gil Weber gil at gilweber.com
Wed Aug 10 13:50:03 BST 2011

On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 08:28:11 AM O. Sinclair wrote:

Marc wrote:
> > I'll describe what I did on my installation.
> >
> > 1 - New email
> > 2 - Add people in the "To" field
> > 3 - Click on "Save List..."
> > 4 - Assign a name: "List to myself"
> > 5 - Click "Save" and select the proper Addressbook (I selected
> > Personal Contacts as I do not really trust the Google Contacts
> > addressbook yet)
> > 6 - Discard the created email
> > 7 - Created a new email and used the "List to myself" address on
> > the "To" field. 8 - Sent the email
> > 9 - Everything worked fine, all my personal addressess got the
> > email.
> >
> > I'm running KDE SC 4.7 on Archlinux.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Marc Deop i Argemí

And Sinclair replied:

> If this works it is great- this is what I wanted from start, so to
> speak. However, as described by Gil and noted by Anne, the
> Groups/Lists function is erratic in that it sometimes defaults to
> the
> "myid at mycomputer.mydomain" address, wherever it now picks up that.
>
> I have noted that sometimes I can sort that problem by removing and
> then adding an address to the suddenly misbehaving list/group. Have
> no idea why/how and I am as upgraded as I can be on Kubuntu 10.04
> with KDE 4.7 - though still (back) on Kontact 4.4/ KMail 1.
>
> Best,
> Sinclair

And I followed Marc's instructions but had no luck. The message bounced
back to me again. Same problem as Sinclair notes and I previously noted:
KMail makes the outgoing address as  "myid at mycomputer.mydomain" instead
of the list of e-mail addresses I had created.

Note also that Marc says to put the list into the proper address book
(he uses Personal Contacts but mentions Google Contacts). I don't have a
choice, and I have nothing named Personal Contacts or Google Contacts.
Where do these appear?

I am more confused than ever.
Gil