[kdepim-users] KDE 4.6.5 on OpenSUSE 11.3: where do I find KMail config files? Where are Maildir folders stored?

Paul Leopardi paul.leopardi at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 23 04:04:40 BST 2011

Hi all,
The subject line says it all, almost. I'm using KDE 4.6.5 on OpenSUSE 11.3.
Kmail 1.13.7, and I'm trying to understand my current Kmail setup before I
migrate everything to KDE 4.7. I tried before and it all ended up in a muddled
mess, so I fell back to KDE 4.6.5.

I'm a bit confused as to how Kmail knows where to find my Maildir folders. Is
the correct configuration file ~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc ? How does Kmail
know where to find Maildir directories? Is this hardwired or configured? If
this is configured, where? I think my mail is stored in ~/Mail , but I want to
be sure.
All the best, Paul

PS. In ~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc I find the following "[Folder-" lines
(snipped for length and privacy). I think these lines match the directory
hierarchy I see in ~/Mail, which seems to confirm that Kmail 1.14.7 uses
~/Mail to store Maildir folders.

[Folder-Archives]
[Folder-.Archives.directory/ANU-maths]
[Folder-.Archives.directory/ANU-Maths]
[Folder-.Archives.directory/.ANU-Maths.directory/INBOX]
[Folder-.Archives.directory/received-mail]
[Folder-Canberra]
[Folder-drafts]
[Folder-inbox]
[Folder-Lists]