[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:56:31 BST 2011

Hi,

As part of migrating away from kdepim entirely, I've created a local
IMAP instance in Dovecot and configured this as a local receiving
account. It shows up in the left sidebar of kmail.

kmail version      4.7.0
KDE version        4.7.0
Local folder       ~/.local/share/local-mail
local imap folder  ~/.maildir

I've used this local imap trick for years when migrating, it always
works well. I should be able to drag folder trees, individual folders
or individual mails from kmail's Local folders to the IMAP account and
have the original mails be moved. It does not appear to work with
kmail2 properly.

Dragging items to the IMAP folder makes them appear in kmail's display
in the correct place and they can be read. However, the originals are
no longer in ~/.local/share/local-mail and do not appear in ~/.maildir
either. They seem to have been deleted off disk.

Gradually, mails moved in this way are disappearing from the kmail
display, I assume they are expiring out of the akonadi cache. I have
already lost the entire contents of my archive for this very mailing
list right here.

Dragging and dropping mails in the same way inside claws works
correctly - mails moved on-disk from the old to the new locations as
one expects.

What is kmail2's expected behaviour in this action, and are there logs
where I can determine what it did and where it put things?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com