[kdepim-users] KDE 4.6.5 on OpenSUSE 11.3: where do I find KMail config files? Where are Maildir folders stored?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Aug 23 07:51:40 BST 2011

Hi Paul,

On Tuesday, 2011-08-23, Paul Leopardi wrote:
> Hi all,
> The subject line says it all, almost. I'm using KDE 4.6.5 on OpenSUSE 11.3.
> Kmail 1.13.7, and I'm trying to understand my current Kmail setup before I
> migrate everything to KDE 4.7. I tried before and it all ended up in a
> muddled mess, so I fell back to KDE 4.6.5.
>
> I'm a bit confused as to how Kmail knows where to find my Maildir folders.
> Is the correct configuration file ~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc ?

Yes

> How does
> Kmail know where to find Maildir directories? Is this hardwired or
> configured? If this is configured, where? I think my mail is stored in
> ~/Mail , but I want to be sure.

Configured with a hardwired default.
kmailrc, section [General], key "folders"

also retrievable by running
kreadconfig --file kmailrc --group General --key folders

The hardwired default, used when this setting is not present, is
~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail

In your case I expect the value to be
 $HOME/Mail

> All the best, Paul
>
> PS. In ~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc I find the following "[Folder-" lines
> (snipped for length and privacy). I think these lines match the directory
> hierarchy I see in ~/Mail, which seems to confirm that Kmail 1.14.7 uses
> ~/Mail to store Maildir folders.

Yes, these sections contain folder specific settings

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring