[kdepim-users] On going struggle to import KMail distribution list from KDE 3.5 or create new one (now using KDE 4.6)

Gil Weber gil at gilweber.com
Tue Aug 9 19:40:09 BST 2011

On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:17:33 PM O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 18:06, Gil Weber wrote:

> >> You can forget your old distribution lists, unfortunately. They
> >> are now known as "Groups" and you will have to recreate them
> >> (please find me wrong anyone but as far as I can remember I had
> >> to..).
> >>
> >> in Kaddressbook, choose menu "File" and then "New" and then Group.
> >> Add contacts by pressing the + sign and start typing their names.
> >>
> >> As for your sorting issue I hope someone else can assist you.
> >>
> >> In all honesty "Contacts" or Kaddressbook is still a far cry from
> >> what it was before migrating to Akonadi technology in terms of
> >> usability. In my opinion that is... I think I have recreated my
> >> lists close to 10 times after "upgrades" rendered them unusable.
> >> For a while I resorted to empty template emails addressed to
> >> those I wanted to reach as a list.
> >>
> >> Just to confuse they are still called Distribution Lists in new
> >> mail(s) but Groups in Kaddressbook...
> >>
> >> Best
> >> Sinclair
> >
> > Sinclair, thanks for this informative reply.
> >
> > Just so I understand you correctly, you're saying I will have to
> > retype each and every name and address into a new "Group" to
> > create a mailing list? I can't simply go "click, click, click" on
> > the various names to add them?
> >
> > And where/when do I press the + sign?
> >
> > After I do as you've suggested I see a box where I can enter the
> > new Group's name.
> >
> > Then below that is an area where I can type in last names and it
> > adds the e-mail address. So far, so good.
> >
> > But then when I click "OK" there are no names in the Group.
> >
> > What am I not understanding about this process? Does it have
> > something to do with the + sign?
> > Thx
>
> Gil,
>
> unfortunately there is no (that I know of) "choose a bunch of
> contacts and then create a list". It still exists as an option in a
> mail you create (save as distribution list, right?) but I don't
> think it works at this moment.
>
> you give the group a name, click the first "envelope" line in the
> window and start typing. Your chosen contact should show up after a
> few letters. Then you click on the next empty "envelop line". Sorry
> the plus sign seems to be a phantom in my memory, could be that it
> existed in an earlier version.

Sinclair, again, thanks. I really appreciate the time you've put into
your answers. But still it's not working.   :o(

1) I saved a nine-name group following your directions.
2) When I then try to look at the contents of the group it shows 0
contacts.
3) I sent a test e-mail anyway to the (supposed) group.
4) It bounced back to me as undeliverable, stating the message had been
addressed to <name of the group>@<name of my computer>.com

But clearly I did not send the message to that non-existent address.
Rather, I sent it (or tried to send it) to 9 distinct e-mail addresses
that are in my address book.

This is the same problem that has been described repeatedly on various
discussion groups.

How can this significant problem be so widespread for so long since the
release of KDE 4 yet it's still not fixed? Or has it been fixed but
we're not aware of the fix?

Thanks
Gil