[kdepim-users] On going struggle to import KMail distribution list from KDE 3.5 or create new one (now using KDE 4.6)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:17:33 BST 2011

On 09/08/2011 18:06, Gil Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:54:28 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 09/08/2011 15:07, Gil Weber wrote:
>>> Hello, everyone. First post to this list.
>>>
>>> Sorry that it's a bit long-winded, but I want to be clear
>>> describing my problem and what I've done to try to find a
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> I have searched the archives here and using Google. Everyone seems
>>> to have the same or similar problem, but no solutions!  :o)
>>>
>>> I have recently upgraded from SuSE 11.1 to 11.4. Formerly using KDE
>>> 3.5 and now using KDE 4.6.00.
>>>
>>> I do not use Kontact, only KMail (v. 1.13.6)
>>>
>>> I have successfully migrated my e-mails from KDE 3.5, but no matter
>>> what I do I'm having a terrible time with the address book. I have
>>> copied over the address book, but the names are in completely
>>> random order.
>>>
>>> I need to have them sorted by last name so I can find a name
>>> quickly, but I have not found a way to get KMail to sort this way.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help with this first issue?
>>>
>>> Further I cannot figure out how to copy over my old distribution
>>> lists, nor can I figure out how to create new ones.
>>>
>>> I have looked and looked at various sources including SuSE and KDE
>>> discussion lists. Many, many, many people describe the same
>>> problem, but nobody seems to have an answer -- at least I have not
>>> found it.
>>>
>>> In the process of trying things I may well have screwed up
>>> something in KMail (perhaps Akonadi?) so I really need help. (I am
>>> **not** a Linux guru!)
>>>
>>> Can anyone help with this second issue of importing my existing
>>> distribution lists and/or creating new ones in KDE 4.6?
>>>
>>> I am simply desperate to get the address book resorted and the
>>> distribution lists working as my business depends on being able to
>>> communicate with clients and subscribers.
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your wise counsel and tolerance of this frustrated
>>> penguin.
>>
>> You can forget your old distribution lists, unfortunately. They are
>> now known as "Groups" and you will have to recreate them (please
>> find me wrong anyone but as far as I can remember I had to..).
>>
>> in Kaddressbook, choose menu "File" and then "New" and then Group.
>> Add contacts by pressing the + sign and start typing their names.
>>
>> As for your sorting issue I hope someone else can assist you.
>>
>> In all honesty "Contacts" or Kaddressbook is still a far cry from
>> what it was before migrating to Akonadi technology in terms of
>> usability. In my opinion that is... I think I have recreated my
>> lists close to 10 times after "upgrades" rendered them unusable. For
>> a while I resorted to empty template emails addressed to those I
>> wanted to reach as a list.
>>
>> Just to confuse they are still called Distribution Lists in new
>> mail(s) but Groups in Kaddressbook...
>>
>> Best
>> Sinclair
>

> Sinclair, thanks for this informative reply.
>
> Just so I understand you correctly, you're saying I will have to retype
> [...]

Gil,

unfortunately there is no (that I know of) "choose a bunch of contacts
and then create a list". It still exists as an option in a mail you
create (save as distribution list, right?) but I don't think it works at
this moment.

you give the group a name, click the first "envelope" line in the window
and start typing. Your chosen contact should show up after a few
letters. Then you click on the next empty "envelop line". Sorry the plus
sign seems to be a phantom in my memory, could be that it existed in an
earlier version.