[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact not showing addresses

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 5 19:03:24 BST 2011

On Tuesday 05 April 2011 17:11:56 Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> I've had this problem for some time now, but cannot seem to solve it...
>
> My std.vcf file in Kontact can be read in Kate or any other text editor,
> but Kontact shows the file as empty...
>
> I even added an entry in Kontact, and under Properties, it shows that there
> is 1 entry, but will not show the entry...
>
> I configured the file in KDE resources...I'm using KDE 4.6.1, Kontact
> 4.4.10, akonadi 4.4.10
>
> any ideas?

I've seen someone report this before (could be you, of course) but I don't
recall whether it ever got solved.

My plan of action would be (with Kontact closed, of course)

1) Back up std.vcf to another place.
2) Go to System Settings > Personal Information and see if std.vcf is listed
there under Contacts.
3) If it is, highlight it and Edit - ensuring that the entry points to the
correct place.
4) If it isn't, add it from that same place.

5) Your contact should have automatically been migrated to a Personal Contacts
addressbook.  If that is listed along with std.vcf, check that it points to
~/.local/share/contacts
6) Mark Personal Contacts as your default addressbook

Start Kontact and go back to the addressbook.  Can you see your contacts now?
If they are visible in std.vcf but not in Personal Contacts you can simply
drag'n'drop a copy of all of them into the Personal Contacts folder.

You can also add sub-folders under Personal Contacts - useful if you want to
separate family from work contacts, for instance.

Anne