[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact not showing addresses

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:38:28 BST 2011

On Friday 08 April 2011 04:02:33 Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> thanks Anne,
>
> unfortunately, I even copied the file into ~/.local/share/contacts and it
> still doesn't show the addresses...

That sounds as though you misunderstood me.  I can't look back at the exact
wording, because you have started a new thread with this message instead of
replying to keep the threading.

> in order, I tried:
>
> 1) backing up std.vcf into my home folder
Yes
> 2) clicked the 'Contacts' tab in my System Settings>Personal Information
> 3) ensured it pointed to the correct place
which was?

> 4) manually copied it to ~/.local/share/contacts folder

No, that's not what I said.  I said that if your std.vcf file was showing
contacts within KAddressBook, and your Personal Contacts was set up but empty
because migration had failed, you could copy (or drag'n'drop) all your
contacts into the Personal Contacts folder.

> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) when I 'add address book in 'Personal Contacts' I select a folder...not
> a file, but a folder...so I created stdvcf with the std.vcf file inside
> and selected it... unfortunately this doesn't show the file at all,
> either...so...

No, it wouldn't.  You are completely misunderstanding.  Those folders are for
sub-groups of addresses that are actually part of Personal Contacts.  You
cannot do it this way.

> 2) why does it ask for a 'folder' when the std.vcf is a
> file, not a folder...this seems to be a major problem in attempting to
> 'add folder to contacts'...
> 3) how do I put it in a 'folder' so I can view it...

Please, p[lease, please read http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook
so that you understand it a little better.  There are other useful pages
linked from it, too.

> The std.vcf file in my Kontact>Contacts>Address book shows 156 objects BUT
> WILL NOT SHOW A SINGLE FILE...this is what is so frustrating...the file is
> there but shows NOTHING in the file...
>
> ...please...any ideas?

If you follow the instructions on UserBase you should get both that and the
new Personal Contacts up and running.

Anne