[kdepim-users] Re: kdepim-users Digest, Vol 89, Issue 9

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 9 20:17:56 BST 2011

On Saturday 09 April 2011 19:03:21 Donald J. Stewart wrote:

Donald, replying from Digest mode breaks the threads and makes it difficult
for people to follow.  Also as you can see here, you end up without a
meaningful subject, which lowers your chances of getting a good reply.

> thanks again Anne...first off, I apologize, I write music...I have a strong
> commitment to open source 'computing' -- but I am not a programmer, simply
> a user...when upgrading I hope the previous folders, files, ways of doing
> things remain in place, and when they don't, I am at a loss...
>
> Upon one of the upgrades from 4.3 to 4.4 or 4.4 to 4.5...not sure which
> one, my contacts disappeared...
>
> now...
>
> in System Settings>Personal Information I have the tab that selects
> Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Alarms...
>
> under Contacts, I see:
>
> Name akonadi-resource Type akonadi Standard Yes
>
> I click Edit
>
> under General Settings I see:
>
> Name: akonadi-resource
>
> I click Manage Address Book Sources, select Add and see:
>
> KDE Address Book
> Knut
> Kolab Groupware Server
> Nepomuk Contact Feeder
> Personal Contacts
> VCard Directory
> VCard File
>
> Selecting Personal Contacts allows me to select the folder you mentioned
> earlier:
>
> ~/.local/share/contacts/
>
> during this process, what have I done wrong?

Nothing at all.  That's absolutely fine, but it has to get populated.  This is
usually done by an automatic migration, and if that failed you have to do
something about it manually - not ideal, but not too difficult.  So....

Start the same process over, and we'll get your std.vcf installed as a
resource next.  This time, in Manage Resources, select  VCard File and polint
the address line to ~/.kde (kde4 in some distros) /share/apps/kabc/std.vcf and
complete the process.  When you restart Kontact you should see that you now
have an empty Personal Contacts and an std.vcf resource with your old contacts
in.  If you can't see it, use Add Address Book from the right-click menu, and
choose std.vcf.

Once you have that you can drag your addresses into Personal Contacts.

Finally, go back into the Management routine, and click the boxes for Contacts
and Distribution lists to be added to Personal Contacts.  Also, before you
leave the System Settings page, highlight Personal Contacts and click Set as
Standard.

That should get you sorted.  Come back if you get stuck, but you seem to have
managed the first part fine, so you should be OK.

Anne