[kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sun Apr 3 18:42:54 BST 2011

On Sunday, April 03, 2011 06:22:39 PM Alan McKinnon Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's a step backward. Clearly, I am not going to reconfigure
> > > Kmail per message received.
> >
> > HTML mail that is acceptable to you usually comes from specific
> > sources.  I get emails from several companies that I trust, even
> > though they do use HTML
> >
> > :-) so I have a Newsletter folder and filter all mail from those
> > :companies
> >
> > into that folder.  That folder is set to display HTML while other
> > mail goes to plain text folders.  The rare times I get an HTML
> > message that isn't from them, I either drag it to that folder, or
> > temporarily enable it, but it's a fairly rare occurrence.  It's no
> > bother this way, and it works perfectly for me.
>
> Yes, that's very nice but expecting users to jump through those hoops
> is brain dead. Removing the structure view is brain dead.
>
> Look, think of it like this:
>
> Mail often consists of various parts. I want to see the parts, then
> cause an obvious action to happen if I click on the name of a part.
>
> Now, what makes more sense?
>
> a. A view structure pane
> b. Do some other weird bizarre thing involving filters (Huh? WTF? I
> DON'T WANT TO FILTER THIS STUFF. I WANT TO VIEW IT). And oh yeah,
> the filter will only ever be used once.
>
> This is my first post here and I usually try to avoid first posts
> being critical ones. But the kdepim devs are showing every sign of
> being brain-dead most notably the one where asking users what they
> think seems to be beyond their capabilities.

All quite right, every word.

Apropos the suggestion of Ingo (checking a preference for HTML viewing),
can someone tell me where that checkbox is? I remember it in previous
versions, but I don't see it now. Is it possible that the bathwater has
got thrown out with the baby?
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on