[kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane

Alan McKinnon Alan.McKinnon at is.co.za
Sun Apr 3 22:08:25 BST 2011

On Sunday 03 April 2011 19:42:54 Stan Goodman wrote:
> On Sunday, April 03, 2011 06:22:39 PM Alan McKinnon Alan McKinnon
>
> <alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > HTML mail that is acceptable to you usually comes from specific
> > > sources.  I get emails from several companies that I trust, even
> > > though they do use HTML
> > >
> > > :-) so I have a Newsletter folder and filter all mail from those
> > > :companies
> > >
> > > into that folder.  That folder is set to display HTML while other
> > > mail goes to plain text folders.  The rare times I get an HTML
> > > message that isn't from them, I either drag it to that folder, or
> > > temporarily enable it, but it's a fairly rare occurrence.  It's no
> > > bother this way, and it works perfectly for me.
> >
> > Yes, that's very nice but expecting users to jump through those hoops
> > is brain dead. Removing the structure view is brain dead.
> >
> > Look, think of it like this:
> >
> > Mail often consists of various parts. I want to see the parts, then
> > cause an obvious action to happen if I click on the name of a part.
> >
> > Now, what makes more sense?
> >
> > a. A view structure pane
> > b. Do some other weird bizarre thing involving filters (Huh? WTF? I
> > DON'T WANT TO FILTER THIS STUFF. I WANT TO VIEW IT). And oh yeah,
> > the filter will only ever be used once.
> >
> > This is my first post here and I usually try to avoid first posts
> > being critical ones. But the kdepim devs are showing every sign of
> > being brain-dead most notably the one where asking users what they
> > think seems to be beyond their capabilities.
>
> All quite right, every word.
>
> Apropos the suggestion of Ingo (checking a preference for HTML viewing),
> can someone tell me where that checkbox is? I remember it in previous
> versions, but I don't see it now. Is it possible that the bathwater has
> got thrown out with the baby?

I'm still using 4.4.10, but used a 4.5.94 snapshot for two months. In both
cases it was in the Folder menu.

The "View message structure" menu item is in the View menu if that helps.

--
Alan McKinnon
Systems Engineer^W Technician

+27 11 575 7585

Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confidentiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a mail to disclaimers at is.co.za and a copy will be emailed to you.