[kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:22:39 BST 2011

On Sunday 03 April 2011 15:35:40 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > That's a step backward. Clearly, I am not going to reconfigure Kmail per
> > message received.
>
> HTML mail that is acceptable to you usually comes from specific sources.  I
> get emails from several companies that I trust, even though they do use
> HTML
>
> :-) so I have a Newsletter folder and filter all mail from those companies
>
> into that folder.  That folder is set to display HTML while other mail goes
> to plain text folders.  The rare times I get an HTML message that isn't
> from them, I either drag it to that folder, or temporarily enable it, but
> it's a fairly rare occurrence.  It's no bother this way, and it works
> perfectly for me.

Yes, that's very nice but expecting users to jump through those hoops is brain
dead. Removing the structure view is brain dead.

Look, think of it like this:

Mail often consists of various parts. I want to see the parts, then cause an
obvious action to happen if I click on the name of a part.

Now, what makes more sense?

a. A view structure pane
b. Do some other weird bizarre thing involving filters (Huh? WTF? I DON'T WANT
TO FILTER THIS STUFF. I WANT TO VIEW IT). And oh yeah, the filter will only
ever be used once.

This is my first post here and I usually try to avoid first posts being
critical ones. But the kdepim devs are showing every sign of being brain-dead
most notably the one where asking users what they think seems to be beyond
their capabilities.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com