[kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Apr 4 21:54:47 BST 2011

On Monday 04 April 2011, Stan Goodman wrote:
> On Monday, April 04, 2011 12:47:30 AM Ingo Klöcker Ingo Klöcker
>
> <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:

> > > Yes, that's very nice but expecting users to jump through those
> > > hoops is brain dead. Removing the structure view is brain dead.
> > >
> > > Look, think of it like this:
> > >
> > > Mail often consists of various parts. I want to see the parts,
> > > then cause an obvious action to happen if I click on the name of
> > > a part.
> > >
> > > Now, what makes more sense?
> > >
> > > a. A view structure pane
> > > b. Do some other weird bizarre thing involving filters (Huh? WTF?
> > > I DON'T WANT TO FILTER THIS STUFF. I WANT TO VIEW IT). And oh
> > > yeah, the filter will only ever be used once.
> > >
> > > This is my first post here and I usually try to avoid first posts
> > > being critical ones. But the kdepim devs are showing every sign
> > > of being brain-dead most notably the one where asking users what
> > > they think seems to be beyond their capabilities.
> >
> > Your message isn't critical at all. It is outright insulting.
>
> I see it as a legitimate comment on the apparent elimination of a
> desirable and useful feature.
>
> > Funny enough the message structure view is still there (in the View
> > menu). I was in error when I claimed that it had been removed.
>
> It is funny, isn't it? Even funnier is the fact that you and
> apparently Ms Wilson (both of whom who are far more in the know than
> most of us) also didn't know that it had merely been moved to the
> View menu and just rushed to make rxcuses.

Yeah. Mea culpa. I remembered discussions about removing it. Apparently,
in the end it wasn't removed.

> I don't think you have a basis for feeling insulted. None of us is
> clairvoyant.

I'm not feeling insulted by you. Don't get me wrong. I'm feeling
insulted by Mr. McKinnon. As Anne did already point out he wrote "But
the kdepim devs are showing every sign of being brain-dead [...]". Being
one of those kdepim devs (albeit a mostly inactive one) I think I have a
pretty good basis for feeling insulted by Mr. McKinnon.