[kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 22:13:56 BST 2011

Apparently, though unproven, at 22:54 on Monday 04 April 2011, Ingo Klöcker
did opine thusly:

> > I don't think you have a basis for feeling insulted. None of us is
> > clairvoyant.
>
> I'm not feeling insulted by you. Don't get me wrong. I'm feeling
> insulted by Mr. McKinnon. As Anne did already point out he wrote "But
> the kdepim devs are showing every sign of being brain-dead [...]". Being
> one of those kdepim devs (albeit a mostly inactive one) I think I have a
> pretty good basis for feeling insulted by Mr. McKinnon.

You can feel that way if you wish, that is your right. You may also ignore me
and brush me off as an ignorant fool.

But you have no idea what kdepim has put me through the past 3 months. I have
not found a single version after 4.4.10 that is usable in any realistic
definition of the word.

4.5.94 was the one I stayed with the longest. It had no calendar entries, they
were just missing. I eventually found a post on the KDE forums that explained
why - apparently someone forgot to do something with the code and hey
whoopsie, no calendar info. Clicking on a mail in the folder view took seconds
to refresh. IMAP connections would mysteriously disappear. none of these
things were present in 4.4.10

This is a dual core notebook with 4G RAM and slightly more than 4G swap. 10
minutes after a reboot, with akonadi taking 100% cpu on both cores, I would
run out of swap. RUN OUT OF SWAP! The notebook was unusable because of a
reindexing going on between akonadi and nepomuk (strigi text indexing is
disabled).

I've read all the dev's reasoning behind the changes and in a corporate
environment needing groupware that is fine, I suppose. But I have found no
evidence anywhere that the kdepim dev team consulted users who might not want
all that. And that was the gist of my post.

Anyone can feel free to prove me wrong, and the best proof is of course
shipped, running code.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com