[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 14:33:39 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> > If I want to move from one machine to another, but keep all my address
> > book info etc (and in future all my emails), is there a backup/restore
> > facility in Akonadi?  If not I would suggest that one is needed - is
> > there any documentation as to what gets stored where so that one
could
> > be written?
> >
> > Similarly if I want to synchronise my akonadi data between say a laptop
> > and a desktop is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Also is the format the same independent of the database that is used.
> > If so can this be used to migrate from MySql to Postgresql?
> >
> > David
>
> users
> OK, I think I found the answer, the Akonadi Tray Utility.  But boy is it
> well hidden.
>
> I found reference to it on the web, so I asked the Panel Toolbox to give me
> a list of widgets (the logical place to look for it I thought) and there
> was nothing there.  So I thought maybe there is a separate debian
package
> for it, but no.
>
> Then I came across http://www.theirishpenguin.com/tag/akonadi/ and in
> there is said to look for it in the kickoff launcher.  So I did, and now I
> have it.
>
> But from a usability point of view this is all wrong.  If I want to start
> an application, I go to the launcher.  If I want a widget in my task bar I
> go to the Panel Toolbox and add it.  Would it be possible to put this in
> the right place next time around?
>
> David
users

OK, I tried the backup utility, and yes I can produce backups, but I can
not use this to migrate from MySql to Postgresql.

Firstly in amongst the things backed up is
~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc which of course specifies that this is
mysql system.  So the procedure I was planning (stop all kdepim apps
except akonadi, backup, change to postgresql, restore, start all apps)
will not work, because the restore will undo the change.

Secondly rather than using some akonadi data format, it uses the native
format of the DB specific backup utilities.  Now mysqldump does have a
compatible option for Postgresql (but even that needs some tinkering
after it is used according to
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Converting_MySQL_to_PostgreSQL), but there
is no option to use it as far as I can see.

Is there any documentation on migrating from MySql to Postgresql?  It
would seem that at least on a Debian system there are a number of
steps that are required, and it would be nice not to have to find them
one by one.

David