[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 13:50:38 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> If I want to move from one machine to another, but keep all my address
> book info etc (and in future all my emails), is there a backup/restore
> facility in Akonadi?  If not I would suggest that one is needed - is there
> any documentation as to what gets stored where so that one could be
> written?
>
> Similarly if I want to synchronise my akonadi data between say a laptop
> and a desktop is there a way to do this?
>
> Also is the format the same independent of the database that is used.
> If so can this be used to migrate from MySql to Postgresql?
>
> David
users
OK, I think I found the answer, the Akonadi Tray Utility.  But boy is it well
hidden.

I found reference to it on the web, so I asked the Panel Toolbox to give me
a list of widgets (the logical place to look for it I thought) and there was
nothing there.  So I thought maybe there is a separate debian package
for it, but no.

Then I came across http://www.theirishpenguin.com/tag/akonadi/ and in
there is said to look for it in the kickoff launcher.  So I did, and now I have
it.

But from a usability point of view this is all wrong.  If I want to start an
application, I go to the launcher.  If I want a widget in my task bar I go
to the Panel Toolbox and add it.  Would it be possible to put this in the
right place next time around?

David