[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 19:35:53 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 13:50:38 David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> > If I want to move from one machine to another, but keep all my address
> > book info etc (and in future all my emails), is there a backup/restore
> > facility in Akonadi?  If not I would suggest that one is needed - is
> > there any documentation as to what gets stored where so that one could
> > be written?
> >
> > Similarly if I want to synchronise my akonadi data between say a laptop
> > and a desktop is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Also is the format the same independent of the database that is used.
> > If so can this be used to migrate from MySql to Postgresql?
> >
> > David
>
> users
> OK, I think I found the answer, the Akonadi Tray Utility.  But boy is it
> well hidden.
>
> I found reference to it on the web, so I asked the Panel Toolbox to give me
> a list of widgets (the logical place to look for it I thought) and there
> was nothing there.  So I thought maybe there is a separate debian package
> for it, but no.
>
> Then I came across http://www.theirishpenguin.com/tag/akonadi/ and in
> there is said to look for it in the kickoff launcher.  So I did, and now I
> have it.
>
> But from a usability point of view this is all wrong.  If I want to start
> an application, I go to the launcher.  If I want a widget in my task bar I
> go to the Panel Toolbox and add it.  Would it be possible to put this in
> the right place next time around?

If you start KRunner (alt-F2, or from a right-click on the desktop) and type
in "akonadi" the config utility will be one of the options offered.  The tray
utility is not intended to be the normal way of accessing it, and you are not
going to need it regularly.  Also, as you will read on the UserBase page, that
backup facility is not the whole solution to your needs.  You must back up the
"real data" whereas that backs up the cached data.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group