[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 22:12:25 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 13:50:38 David Goodenough wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 October 2010, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > If I want to move from one machine to another, but keep all my
address
> > > book info etc (and in future all my emails), is there a backup/restore
> > > facility in Akonadi?  If not I would suggest that one is needed - is
> > > there any documentation as to what gets stored where so that one
could
> > > be written?
> > >
> > > Similarly if I want to synchronise my akonadi data between say a
laptop
> > > and a desktop is there a way to do this?
> > >
> > > Also is the format the same independent of the database that is
used.
> > > If so can this be used to migrate from MySql to Postgresql?
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > users
> > OK, I think I found the answer, the Akonadi Tray Utility.  But boy is it
> > well hidden.
> >
> > I found reference to it on the web, so I asked the Panel Toolbox to give
> > me a list of widgets (the logical place to look for it I thought) and
> > there was nothing there.  So I thought maybe there is a separate
debian
> > package for it, but no.
> >
> > Then I came across http://www.theirishpenguin.com/tag/akonadi/ and in
> > there is said to look for it in the kickoff launcher.  So I did, and now
> > I have it.
> >
> > But from a usability point of view this is all wrong.  If I want to start
> > an application, I go to the launcher.  If I want a widget in my task bar
> > I go to the Panel Toolbox and add it.  Would it be possible to put this
> > in the right place next time around?
>
> If you start KRunner (alt-F2, or from a right-click on the desktop) and
> type in "akonadi" the config utility will be one of the options offered.
> The tray utility is not intended to be the normal way of accessing it, and
> you are not going to need it regularly.  Also, as you will read on the
> UserBase page, that backup facility is not the whole solution to your
> needs.  You must back up the "real data" whereas that backs up the
cached
> data.
>
> Anne

Consider your actual Joe users.  They use their mail clients, address
books and calendars.  They might have noticed that they have these
funny names all beginning with k, but not much more.  Akonadi in contrast
is something they never see, they will not really be aware of its existence,
and this is at least in part by design.

Taking backups is kind of fundamental to good management of any
system and those of us in the industry have been trying to din into
their minds that backups are important.

So now we present them with a system that hides what little backup it
provides behind a name that they do not recognise and then we tell
them that even that only does part of the job and they have to do the real
work for themselves.

I looked for "the UserBase page", but I have no idea which page you mean.
To be honest (and I have been using KDE since 2001) I had never heard
of UserBase (Google found it for me), and a quick flick through it does
not seem to mention Akonadi that I can find, and it does not seem to have
a search facility.  There does not seem to be any link to UserBase from
any of the kdepim applications.

David