[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 22:26:46 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 12:40:37 David Goodenough wrote:
> > If I want to move from one machine to another, but keep all my address
> > book info etc (and in future all my emails), is there a backup/restore
> > facility in Akonadi?  If not I would suggest that one is needed - is
> > there any documentation as to what gets stored where so that one
could
> > be written?
> >
> > Similarly if I want to synchronise my akonadi data between say a laptop
> > and a desktop is there a way to do this?
>
> I think you'll find the answers you need in
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook - it was written by one
of
> the addressbook developers.
>
> > Also is the format the same independent of the database that is used.
> > If so can this be used to migrate from MySql to Postgresql?
>
> I believe some people do use Postgresql.  There is no migration path as
> such, though, to my knowledge.  It is expected that if you want to do that
> you will know what needs doing.
>
> Anne

OK, so now I know which page you were talking about.  What this seems to
say is that such things as backup are not really part of the plan.  There
are bits and pieces all over the place, and even this addressbook developer
does not know what the plan is, or even if there is one.  Frankly having
read it I am only a little closer to what is needed.

As to doing the migration oneself, without knowing how the application uses
the data you can only make assumptions about how to move it.

Many users started with the non-Akonadi storage, were forced to MySql
as it was the only option, and now want to reduce their DB manager count
back to their preferred DB option - in my case Postgresql.

If there is no utility I will write one, but it will be written in my
preferred language - Java.  Then I will publish it and the community can
do with it what they like.  But it would be so much easier if there was
some kind of document that described the data and how it was used.
Lacking that I will guess but it will slow me down.

David