[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:29:43 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 22:26:46 David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 October 2010 12:40:37 David Goodenough wrote:
> > > If I want to move from one machine to another, but keep all my address
> > > book info etc (and in future all my emails), is there a backup/restore
> > > facility in Akonadi?  If not I would suggest that one is needed - is
> > > there any documentation as to what gets stored where so that one
>
> could
>
> > > be written?
> > >
> > > Similarly if I want to synchronise my akonadi data between say a laptop
> > > and a desktop is there a way to do this?
> >
> > I think you'll find the answers you need in
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook - it was written by one
>
> of
>
> > the addressbook developers.
> >
> > > Also is the format the same independent of the database that is used.
> > > If so can this be used to migrate from MySql to Postgresql?
> >
> > I believe some people do use Postgresql.  There is no migration path as
> > such, though, to my knowledge.  It is expected that if you want to do
> > that you will know what needs doing.
> >
> > Anne
>
> OK, so now I know which page you were talking about.  What this seems to
> say is that such things as backup are not really part of the plan.  There
> are bits and pieces all over the place, and even this addressbook developer
> does not know what the plan is, or even if there is one.  Frankly having
> read it I am only a little closer to what is needed.
>
> As to doing the migration oneself, without knowing how the application uses
> the data you can only make assumptions about how to move it.
>
> Many users started with the non-Akonadi storage, were forced to MySql
> as it was the only option, and now want to reduce their DB manager count
> back to their preferred DB option - in my case Postgresql.
>
> If there is no utility I will write one, but it will be written in my
> preferred language - Java.  Then I will publish it and the community can
> do with it what they like.  But it would be so much easier if there was
> some kind of document that described the data and how it was used.
> Lacking that I will guess but it will slow me down.

And frankly you are making unsubstantiated complaints about the developers, to
whom you have not talk, not hear speak, and wouldn't listen to if you did.
There are not, for a start, bits and pieces all over the place.  The data is
stored according to an ISO - I don't recall the number - unlike earlier
versions.  I've no doubt that someone will write about using Postgreslql at
some point, but you would be wiser to learn to understand the system as it is
set up by default before trying to be clever and write your own version.
After all, it is only 4 years or so that a team of developers, some of them
full-time on this project, have been working on it, so go ahead.  Write your
this weekend.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group