[kdepim-users] Re: Backup Akonadi data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 19:40:56 BST 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 14:33:39 David Goodenough wrote:

> OK, I tried the backup utility, and yes I can produce backups, but I can
> not use this to migrate from MySql to Postgresql.
>
> Firstly in amongst the things backed up is
> ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc which of course specifies that this is
> mysql system.  So the procedure I was planning (stop all kdepim apps
> except akonadi, backup, change to postgresql, restore, start all apps)
> will not work, because the restore will undo the change.
>
> Secondly rather than using some akonadi data format, it uses the native
> format of the DB specific backup utilities.  Now mysqldump does have a
> compatible option for Postgresql (but even that needs some tinkering
> after it is used according to
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Converting_MySQL_to_PostgreSQL), but there
> is no option to use it as far as I can see.
>
> Is there any documentation on migrating from MySql to Postgresql?  It
> would seem that at least on a Debian system there are a number of
> steps that are required, and it would be nice not to have to find them
> one by one.

The developers are working hard on stability, security and blocker bugs, in
order to release the Kontact destined to be second generation.  Writing
documentation for a minority of users is not at this moment a priority.
Writing documentation for the majority of users isn't a priority, even.
Frankly, I'm happy with the priorities they've chosen :-)  You can always ask
them about this issue after the release date - which is not yet fixed, as they
are not yet satisfied that the whole Kontact suite is user-ready.

Meanwhile, back up everything listed on
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and_settings_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29

Anne
--