[kdepim-users] Re: Kmail retriving from procmail

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Wed Nov 10 22:11:09 GMT 2010

Am Mittwoch, 10. November 2010, um 22:23:11 schrieb Stan Goodman:
> None of the above resembles anything I have read or heard from others. It
> is my  understanding that fetchmail is to retrieve mail directly from the
> servers (which which are in Ohio, California, and Russia); I have not
> heard that I need a local server.

you don't need one, if you don't want :)
- you can also just use fetchmail/procmail to store messages in your local
filesystem (e.g. directly the directories that kmail uses).

> My understanding is as I described in my
> query, that Kmail (in its receiving mode) doesn't see remote servers at
> all.

sure, that will work, too, see before.
it is just a common thing to additionally use a local (imap-) server in
conjunction with fetchmail/procmail.
this way you can use as many clients/programs (e.g. kmail) to actually access
your mails from any other computer in your local network.
if you just have one client, you can easily omit this.

werner