[kdepim-users] Re: Kmail retriving from procmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 22:35:34 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 21:53:15 on Wednesday Wednesday 10 November 2010, Werner Joss
>
> <werner at hoernerfranzracing.de> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 10. November 2010, um 20:31:22 schrieb Stan Goodman:
> > > Now I wish instead for fetchmail to do that, and to feed its
> > > output to procmail, which will perform some filtering operations
> > > before making its output available to Kmail
> >
> > this is a common scenario - best suited for use with a local imap
> > server, to which kmail talks and receives mail from.
> > all you have to do for this is (in addition to the
> > fetchmail/procmail setup) -	setup and configure the local imap
> > server
> > -	configure kmail to use this
> > as an example, I have documented my own configuration (using
> > courier imap, including bogofilter in addition) here:
> > http://www.hoernerfranzracing.de/kde/spam.php
> > (of course you can also use any other imap server, e.g. dovecot,
> > which is said to be somewhat easier to configure than courier..)
> >
> > werner
>
> Thank you for your note.
>
> None of the above resembles anything I have read or heard from
> others. It is my  understanding that fetchmail is to retrieve mail
> directly from the servers (which which are in Ohio, California, and
> Russia); I have not heard that I need a local server. My
> understanding is as I described in my query, that Kmail (in its
> receiving mode) doesn't see remote servers at all. Nowhere have I
> read anything else.

KMail does not cope well if another application like procmail messes
around with KMail's folders. That's why our recommendation is to use a
local IMAP server in combination with fetchmail and procmail.

A possible alternative is the usage of "Local mailbox" accounts to make
KMail fetch the messages from the files procmail writes the messages to.
See http://kmail.kde.org/manual/faq.html#id2793464 for details.