[kdepim-users] It shouldn't be this hard

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Sun May 23 13:29:52 BST 2010

2010/5/22 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 19 May 2010, Art Alexion wrote:
>> Yesterday, I upgraded my KDE from 4,4,2 to 4.4.3. and again,
>> nepomuk/akonadi broke.  I fixed it -- once again -- with my tried
>> and true methods of removing the akonadi directories under ~/.config
>> and ~/.kde/config.
>>
>> I haven't had an upgrade involving akonadi that didn't break it.
>>
>> But it shouldn't be this hard.  I'm a fairly technical user, and I
>> find the instability of this technology troublesome.  This isn't 4.0
>> anymore, We are up to 4.4, and the underlying KDE technologies are
>> still unreliable.  I would no longer ever recommend KDE to a
>> non-technical user.
>>
>> While I still prefer the KDE apps, like kmail, konqueror, k3b, etc.,
>> the KDE framework is far less stable than even Windows 98.
>>
>> This is meant as a plea more than a complaint.  Please...
>
> FWIW, after reading your message I have upgraded my KDE SC from 4.4.2 to
> 4.4.3. After using 4.4.3 for the past few days without any problems I
> remembered your message.
>
> I cannot confirm your observations. Quite the opposite. On openSUSE 11.2
> upgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 does not seem to introduce any problems or
> instabilities. So, as far as I can tell, the problems you are
> experiencing are either not caused by KDE but by your distro or you are
> using KDE PIM differently than me. I am mostly using KMail only, but I
> had a quick look at the address book and I didn't see or notice anything
> unusual.

I, too, am using kmail only (plus Kasddressbook through kmail.  I
think the difference. as you point out, is that you are using Opensuse
and I am using kubuntu.  I much prefer apt to yum, but it seems that
kubuntu has not been doing as good a job packaging KDE since the
introduction of KDE 4.

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface