[kdepim-users] It shouldn't be this hard

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 22 19:51:21 BST 2010

On Wednesday 19 May 2010, Art Alexion wrote:
> Yesterday, I upgraded my KDE from 4,4,2 to 4.4.3. and again,
> nepomuk/akonadi broke.  I fixed it -- once again -- with my tried
> and true methods of removing the akonadi directories under ~/.config
> and ~/.kde/config.
>
> I haven't had an upgrade involving akonadi that didn't break it.
>
> But it shouldn't be this hard.  I'm a fairly technical user, and I
> find the instability of this technology troublesome.  This isn't 4.0
> anymore, We are up to 4.4, and the underlying KDE technologies are
> still unreliable.  I would no longer ever recommend KDE to a
> non-technical user.
>
> While I still prefer the KDE apps, like kmail, konqueror, k3b, etc.,
> the KDE framework is far less stable than even Windows 98.
>
> This is meant as a plea more than a complaint.  Please...

FWIW, after reading your message I have upgraded my KDE SC from 4.4.2 to
4.4.3. After using 4.4.3 for the past few days without any problems I
remembered your message.

I cannot confirm your observations. Quite the opposite. On openSUSE 11.2
upgrading from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 does not seem to introduce any problems or
instabilities. So, as far as I can tell, the problems you are
experiencing are either not caused by KDE but by your distro or you are
using KDE PIM differently than me. I am mostly using KMail only, but I
had a quick look at the address book and I didn't see or notice anything
unusual.