[kdepim-users] More breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Mon May 24 13:45:20 BST 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2010, Raj Mathur wrote:
> > Is there any way to purge akonadi and nepomuk and just go back to
> > the old kaddressbook interface, as in KDE 3.x?  That worked fine
> > for me, and while the new architectures may be much more flexible
> > and powerful, my personal need is for a simple e-mail address
> > management tool with only add, delete and search features.  Is
> > such a thing available in KDE 4.x?
>
> You can always install (resp. compile as your distro probably doesn't
> provide packages for it) KDE PIM 3.5.x. The future of KAddressBook
> and the rest of KDE PIM is based on Akonadi and Nepomuk.

Ah well, we'll get a stable, working, bug-free KDE PIM sometime in 2017
then ;-)

> > Right now I'm really concerned about two critical things:
> >
> > 1. I have no clue where KMail is getting address completion from.
> > The 16K+ addresses do seem to be present somewhere, but damned if I
> > know where!
>
> KMail does store a list of the 30 most recently addresses. Other than
> that, KMail gets the addresses via the KDE-wide address book access
> (which is using Akonadi AFAIK).

This gets more and more complex... my KMail is getting all addresses in
the directory (as far as I can see), so it's definitely not the last 30.
qdbus | fgrep -i vcard shows me:

 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_vcarddir_resource_15
 org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_vcarddir_resource_15
 org.kde.akonadi_vcarddir_resource_15-12562

So obviously akonadi seems to know something about the address book.
Where, how, when, which?

> > 2. I am unable to add new addresses to the address book
> > automagically, since I don't even know what application's DBUS
> > interface I should be looking at.  KMail seems to know where to get
> > addresses from, but looks like KMail is much smarter than me.
>
> KMail does not use DBus but the corresponding kabc API calls.
>
> > Oh, and Akonadi is still happily adding address books whenever it
> > feels like (these are only in Akonadi, nowhere else in any app I
> > can find). Deleting them makes no difference: like the Evil Dead,
> > they just rise again and again: http://imgur.com/De5j8.png
>
> I have no idea why this is happening. Anyway, somehow your screenshot
> looks very different from how this dialog looks here on openSUSE.
> Maybe this is just another indication that Akonadi in Kubuntu is
> broken.

Quick correction: This is Debian Testing, and address book sources
automatically getting added has been a problem since the 3.5 -> 4.x
upgrade.

Regards,

-- Raj
--