[kdepim-users] More breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon May 24 11:44:43 BST 2010

On Sunday 23 May 2010, Raj Mathur wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 May 2010, Raj Mathur wrote:
> > > - I use VCard directory to store my 16K+ contacts.  kaddressbook
> > > now doesn't allow me to add that as a data source, giving the
> > >
> > > message:
> > >   Could not add address book: Agent instance creation timed out
> >
> > Hmm. Did you try whether this is caused by the number of contacts
> > in the address book?
>
> That could be true if it first gave a chance to select an address
> book type and the file/directory.  At the moment, when you select
> "Add Address Book/VCard Directory" it just waits a few seconds and
> then you get the message described above.  No dialogue opens up at
> all.

Hmm, okay. So it's something else. :-(

> > > - I had a binary address book and an LDAP address book (for
> > > testing earlier) which I'd removed.  Now they're back in
> > > kaddressbook, and I cannot delete them.
> >
> > What happens when you try to delete them (via the corresponding
> > context menu entry in KAddressBook)?
>
> I did what was suggested at:
>

> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting#Kubuntu_10.4_Upg
> rade
>
> and now the old address books are gone from kaddressbook.  Still
> can't add a new one, though.

Ah, okay.

> > > - Control centre/Advanced/KDE Resources does show me my dir
> > > address book, but does not allow me to add any more.  The only
> > > options in the drop-down are: Contacts, Calendars, Notes,
> > > Alarms.
> >
> > Forget about Control centre/Advanced/KDE Resources. KDE Resources
> > are no longer supported directly by KAddressBook. KAddressBook
> > does now use Akonadi. Simply create additional address books in
> > KAddressBook.
>
> See above :)
>
> Is there any way to purge akonadi and nepomuk and just go back to the
> old kaddressbook interface, as in KDE 3.x?  That worked fine for me,
> and while the new architectures may be much more flexible and
> powerful, my personal need is for a simple e-mail address management
> tool with only add, delete and search features.  Is such a thing
> available in KDE 4.x?

You can always install (resp. compile as your distro probably doesn't
provide packages for it) KDE PIM 3.5.x. The future of KAddressBook and
the rest of KDE PIM is based on Akonadi and Nepomuk.

> Right now I'm really concerned about two critical things:
>
> 1. I have no clue where KMail is getting address completion from.
> The 16K+ addresses do seem to be present somewhere, but damned if I
> know where!

KMail does store a list of the 30 most recently addresses. Other than
that, KMail gets the addresses via the KDE-wide address book access
(which is using Akonadi AFAIK).

> 2. I am unable to add new addresses to the address book
> automagically, since I don't even know what application's DBUS
> interface I should be looking at.  KMail seems to know where to get
> addresses from, but looks like KMail is much smarter than me.

KMail does not use DBus but the corresponding kabc API calls.

> Oh, and Akonadi is still happily adding address books whenever it
> feels like (these are only in Akonadi, nowhere else in any app I can
> find). Deleting them makes no difference: like the Evil Dead, they
> just rise again and again: http://imgur.com/De5j8.png

I have no idea why this is happening. Anyway, somehow your screenshot
looks very different from how this dialog looks here on openSUSE. Maybe
this is just another indication that Akonadi in Kubuntu is broken.