[kdepim-users] Akonadi on NFS

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri May 7 06:56:11 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2010 13:50:37 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hi!
>
> I heard about problems regarding Akonadi on NFS. Confirmed here:

>   Deployment issues
>
> [...]
>     * InnoDB tables should not be used on NFS.
>     * NFS speed: MySQL documentation recommends against locating its data
> files on network shares. -----------------------------------------------
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Deployment_issues
>
> Regarding InnoDB I read:

> Warning
>
> It is not a good idea to configure InnoDB to use data files or log files on
> NFS volumes. Otherwise, the files might be locked by other processes and
> become unavailable for use by MySQL.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-restrictions.html
>
> How serious are these? Does anyone already use Akonadi on NFS? If yes, how
> well does it work? Is Akonadi usable on NFS based homes at all?

Yes, it is perfectly usable. On my system all home directories (except root of
course) are on the NFS server. But I am currently thinking about a windows
like behaviour. At login copy some (all) files to a local directory and on
logout copy them back to the server.

The main problem with NFS are network breakages. Depending on your NFS
configuration you can corrupt your database file. I had it once with digikam
(but this is almost two years ago - and I am not sure that it was caused by
NFS).

If your network and your server is reliable there is nothing wrong with
akonadi on NFS.

Martin