[kdepim-users] Akonadi on NFS

Martin Steigerwald ms at teamix.de
Thu May 6 12:50:37 BST 2010

Hi!

I heard about problems regarding Akonadi on NFS. Confirmed here:

  Deployment issues

[...]
    * InnoDB tables should not be used on NFS.
    * NFS speed: MySQL documentation recommends against locating its data files on network shares.

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#Deployment_issues

Regarding InnoDB I read:

Warning

It is not a good idea to configure InnoDB to use data files or log files on NFS volumes. Otherwise, the files might be locked by other processes and become unavailable for use by MySQL.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/innodb-restrictions.html

How serious are these? Does anyone already use Akonadi on NFS? If yes, how well does it work? Is Akonadi usable on NFS based homes at all?

If not, I will hold back KDE 4 upgrade for our company until it is. Since I won't ditch NFS in favor of Akonadi.

We have a similar issue with Zimbra, which we just run partly on NFS, but I heard that in theory MySQL should be able to run via NFS. With Zimbra its quite easy, since its a server in a virtual machine. But KDE is client-side and a KDE session for one user might be run on different workstations or even via OpenVPN tunneled NFS.

Ciao,

--
Martin Steigerwald - team(ix) GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90