[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu May 13 13:47:20 BST 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2010 06:50:54 John Aldrich wrote:
> > To me, anything NOT specifically required for
> > sending/receiving/reading email is crap. That means, that
> > calendaring, etc is junk to me as it is not  directly related to
> > sending/receiving/reading email. Why can we not have a
> > "KMail-Lite" as well as a full-featured "Outlook Replacement."

KMail is exactly the former. The latter is Kontact. KMail, Kontact,
KAddressBook, KOrganizer, etc. will soon all use the same backend
Akonadi. And Akonadi comes with support for mail, contacts, calendars
and more. In the future we may consider disabling parts of Akonadi that
are not needed resp. loading them on demand. At the moment, we don't do
so automatically but you can do so.

Simply remove the calendar resources (akonadi_ical_resource) and the
birthday resource with akonadiconsole. Moreover, start KAddressBook and
delete the address books you do not need. One address book is needed in
any case. You can also remove the akonadi_maildispatcher_agent for now.
As soon as KMail has been ported to KDE 4.5 this will be used for
sending mail.

> > go with a Microsoft-centric example, not everyone wants Outlook.
> > Some folks are quite happy with Outlook Express. It doesn't have
> > all the bells and whistles that Outlook does, but it does email
> > just fine. It also does newsgroups, but I don't  know of anyone
> > who ever used that feature. :-)
>
> I think this is nonsense.  I use kmail, and never kontact.  But to
> effectively use kmail, I also use kaddressbook.  As I understand it,
> Kmail requires kaddressbook, and kaddressbook requires
> akonadi/nepomuk for contact indexing and lookups.  Unless you never
> send mail, or have all of your contact's addresses memorized and
> don't mind manually typing them every time, you probably use
> kaddressbook as well -- even if you don't explicitly start the
> kaddressbook gui.

It's a matter of definition. KMail and KAddressBook (and any other KDE
application that use contacts) use the same backend for accessing
address information. Nowadays, this means Akonadi. So, strictly
speaking, KMail does not need KAddressBook. KMail does need Akonadi (and
Nepomuk for contact groups).

Calendars are not needed by KMail, so there is no real need for an
Akonadi calendar resource.