[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sat May 8 07:49:57 BST 2010

Am Friday 07 May 2010 22:32:21 schrieb John Aldrich:
> This from running "Kmail" from the "K" menu. Now, how is that NOT the same
> as essentially running Kontact? It's not that I can't afford the
> CPU/Memory  utilization (I can -- the machine is more than powerful
> enough) it's that I don't want all that crap, even running in the
> background.

well, this akonadi/nepomuk 'crap' is getting more and more a basic requirement
for the whole kde infrastrucure, not just kmail/pim.
and as such, chances to use any kde applications without it, are bad.
the problem for many users is, that up to now, not much benefit from having
these background processes running, can be seen.
but I think this will change in the (not so far) future.
see also
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-dont-need-no-stinking-nepomuk-right.html

werner