[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu May 13 13:28:14 BST 2010

John Aldrich wrote:
> On Thu May 13 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>>> My only question is "if these things aren't even being used, why are
>>> they running in the first place?" Is it a *requirement* that all
>>> this crap run in the background? Why do you require all this junk
>>> just to get email? Am I going to have to sacrifice the functionality
>>> and experience and get a new email client?
>> Crap? Junk? If you think this is crap and junk then, yes, please get
>> another email client. We don't need users who think that what we do is
>> crap and junk.
>>

> To me, anything NOT specifically required for sending/receiving/reading
> email is crap. That means, that calendaring, etc is junk to me as it is not
> directly related to sending/receiving/reading email. Why can we not have a
> "KMail-Lite" as well as a full-featured "Outlook Replacement." To go with a
> Microsoft-centric example, not everyone wants Outlook. Some folks are quite
> happy with Outlook Express. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that
> Outlook does, but it does email just fine. It also does newsgroups, but I
> don't  know of anyone who ever used that feature. :-)
>
> I use Outlook at work for my email so I can have access to the additional
> features such as calendaring, meeting requests, etc. At home, I just want
> email and I *like* the KMail interface. What I don't like is all the
> additional stuff that KMail includes.
>
> As far as export goes, is there any way to export all your contacts at once
> instead of having to export them one  at a time?
As for your comments I  think plenty have already pointed out that you
can run KMail separate, I do sometimes when I feel like it. You are
trying to discuss whether the linking to KDE4 technologies is a bad or
good thing basically. That discussion is sort of over, whether we like
it or not.

and as for Outlook and import.. shudder. There is a way of importing
mbox files in Outlook but it is, put mildly, troublesome and not worth
the effort unless you REALLY need to