[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Thu May 13 03:26:18 BST 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 18:24:09 -0400
John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed May 12 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >
> > I don't see the problem. If those Akonadi resources are not used then
> > they won't use any CPU and, consequently, don't produce any heat. If
> > those Akonadi resources wouldn't exist then KMail would use that bit CPU
> > that's now used by the resources. In KDE SC 3.5 the resources were
> > hidden in-process. Now they are separate processes. That doesn't make
> > them more CPU or memory hungry.
> >
> > What you definitely want to do is disable strigi, but I guess you
> > already did so.
> >
> > Alternatively, follow Werner's example and stay with KDE SC 3.5. If all
> > you want is email then there's no point in using KDE SC 4.4.
> >

> Easy enough to say, but in practice it's impossible to do if you want to
> use a "modern" version of KDE. To use KDE 3.5, I'd have to downgrade KDE
> completely and would not be able to use the advanced features of the WM
> that I *like.* Unfortunately, I'd have to recompile everything from scratch
> to stick with the "old style" KMail.
> My only question is "if these things aren't even being used, why are they
> running in the first place?" Is it a *requirement* that all this crap run in
> the background? Why do you require all this junk just to get email? Am I
> going to have to sacrifice the functionality and experience and get a new
> email client?

Unfortunately turning strigi doesn't work, it still runs as demonstrated by the
akonadi search bar and failure in KDE 4.4.2.

listing of ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc:
[Basic Settings]
Configured repositories=main
Start Nepomuk=false

[Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
autostart=false

[main Settings]
Storage Dir[$e]=$HOME/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/
Used Soprano Backend=redland
rebuilt index for type indexing=false

This problem was in openSUSE 11.2 and remains in 11.3-M6.  Drove me away from
kmail which I liked, many useful features.

For John Aldrich:  If you find it so bothersome, try switching to another email
client such as Thunderbird or Claws-mail.  Not quite as feature rich but very
dependable after you get used to them.

For Ingo:  How about adding an export feature to kmail?  I know there's a
rather limited import function (only mbox or maildir), but no export.  I'd like
to be able to export to my wind-blows email program without having to forward
hundreds of messages ( actually 4000+)

Thanks, Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin