[kdepim-users] More breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon May 24 18:24:36 BST 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010, Raj Mathur wrote:
> On Monday 24 May 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 May 2010, Raj Mathur wrote:
> > > Right now I'm really concerned about two critical things:
> > >
> > > 1. I have no clue where KMail is getting address completion from.
> > > The 16K+ addresses do seem to be present somewhere, but damned if
> > > I know where!
> >
> > KMail does store a list of the 30 most recently addresses. Other
> > than that, KMail gets the addresses via the KDE-wide address book
> > access (which is using Akonadi AFAIK).
>
> This gets more and more complex... my KMail is getting all addresses
> in the directory (as far as I can see), so it's definitely not the
> last 30. qdbus | fgrep -i vcard shows me:
>
>  org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Agent.akonadi_vcarddir_resource_15
>  org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_vcarddir_resource_15
>  org.kde.akonadi_vcarddir_resource_15-12562
>
> So obviously akonadi seems to know something about the address book.
> Where, how, when, which?

You might want to start akonadiconsole to get more information about
this Akonadi resource. All I can say is that akonadi_vcarddir_resource
is a native Akonadi resource (in contrast to akonadi_kabc_resource which
is a compatibility resource using the old KDE resources framework).

> > > 2. I am unable to add new addresses to the address book
> > > automagically, since I don't even know what application's DBUS
> > > interface I should be looking at.  KMail seems to know where to
> > > get addresses from, but looks like KMail is much smarter than
> > > me.
> >
> > KMail does not use DBus but the corresponding kabc API calls.
> >
> > > Oh, and Akonadi is still happily adding address books whenever it
> > > feels like (these are only in Akonadi, nowhere else in any app I
> > > can find). Deleting them makes no difference: like the Evil Dead,
> > > they just rise again and again: http://imgur.com/De5j8.png
> >
> > I have no idea why this is happening. Anyway, somehow your
> > screenshot looks very different from how this dialog looks here on
> > openSUSE. Maybe this is just another indication that Akonadi in
> > Kubuntu is broken.
>
> Quick correction: This is Debian Testing, and address book sources
> automatically getting added has been a problem since the 3.5 -> 4.x
> upgrade.

Maybe there is a problem with the automatic migration of your address
book, i.e. maybe it's migrated over and over again resulting in
duplicates.