[kdepim-users] what's with changing my shortcuts???

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Mar 3 22:02:45 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I'm not aware of the existence of something like "jumble all
> > shortcuts". KMail stores user defined shortcuts in
> >
> >   ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/kmcomposerui.rc
> >
> > and
> >
> >   ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/kmmainwin.rc
> >
> > for the composer and the main window, respectively. (Depending on
> > your distribution you might have to look into ~/.kde4 instead of
> > ~/.kde.)
> >
> > As you have problems with the shortcut for sending mail have a look
> > into kmcomposerui.rc. The shortcuts are defined at the end of this
> > file. If your copy of kmcomposerui.rc doesn't look suspicious (or
> > if you do not find this file in the above mentioned location) then
> > have a look at the global copy of this file. On openSUSE it is in
> > /usr/share/kde4/apps/kmail/kmcomposerui.rc
> >
> > Could it be that the problems were actually caused by the VNC
> > client? Did the problem with the wrong shortcuts persist after you
> > restarted the VNC client?
>
> Seriously doubt it was VNC as I've been using it for a long time. And
> no, the problem went away when I shut down the VNC server and
> restarted it and then changed my shortcuts to what I wanted them to
> be. I'm beginning to really dislike Akonadi and all that other crap
> that got added on to KMail as it seems to have been one problem
> after another since the upgrade to KDE4.4. :-(

The shortcuts have absolutely nothing to do with Akonadi or any of the
other things that got added to KMail.

We didn't force you to upgrade to KDE SC 4.4. My advice for non-
developers is to use the version of KDE SC that was originally included
with your distribution because this version usually has been tested very
well by the distribution. Another general advice is to avoid .0
releases. In an ideal world where beta releases and release candidates
are extensively tested by lots of people this would be different. But,
as a matter of fact, beta releases and release candidates are tested by
very few people. Therefore many problems first show up in the .0 release
when suddenly a lot of people start using it.