[kdepim-users] KMail locks up

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 19:50:24 BST 2010

On Tue June 15 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> It is absolutely proper behavior. Akonadi is a background service that
> is completely independent of KMail. KAddressBook and KOrganizer also use
> Akonadi and I guess you wouldn't want to start KMail every time you want
> to look up an address (in KAddressBook) or put an appointment in your
> calendar (in KOrganizer). The event notifier (korgac) also uses Akonadi.
> I suppose you would want to be reminded about upcoming appointments even
> if KMail was not running.
>
> Maybe reading
>   http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/Akonadi
> will help clear up what Akonadi is and what it is not.

Well, considering I don't open KAB separately from KMail and don't use
Korganizer or anything else, except KMail (I really have no need for a full
Outlook "clone" at home.)

At this point inertia has set in enough that I don't want to change email
clients, but if this keeps happening, I might have to. I certainly do not
want to lose my existing emails.

I find it hard to believe that it's proper for Akonadi to hose things up
when I don't shut it down at the end of the day. Either Akonadi needs to
share resources or it needs to shut down when the X session started by VNC
gets shut down.