[kdepim-users] Support for palm devices in KDE SC 4.4 and beyond?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Jan 8 11:17:35 GMT 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010 21:39:52 Ecaroh wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i am using Kpilot with the last KDE 3.5.10 and a Palm Treo 650. Although
> the device is not the youngest it does all i need: Kontacts, Tasks and
> a Calendar. And really, it does what it should - not less, not more.
>
> I gave KDE 4.x a try, but all the same, i do not see any effort over KDE
> 3.x.

Many of the advantages of KDE SC 4.x are not immediately apparent.  It's only
when you've lived with it for some time that you realise you don't want to go
back.

> For me as an office (power) user time management, tasks and
> contacts are to urgent to give all working processes away for some
> fancy google stuff or some shiny desktop widgets. And KDE 4.x PIM was
> to unstable for my production enviroment.

That's probably distro and/or version specific.  I seem to recall a short time
when I saw that kind of instability, but it hasn't been general.  Early KDE 4
versions were missing some productivity, but little is missing now, especially
for office-type work.  If you have some specific requirements, tell us and
we'll tell you the status.

> And also as a very difficult thing i consider the switch from flat text
> files to databases in all Kontact parts from KDE 3.x to KDE 4.x.
> Whatever i want to sync or to exchange with different computers, the
> flat text files are easy to maintain and to handle.

As far as I know you will still be able to choose to work with flat text files
instead of the akonadi databases.  Certainly in SC 4.4 you can.  The point of
akonadi databases  is to make your data and metadata available across
applications.  If you don't need that you can stick to your flat files.
Currently some people are having some problems with migration to akonadi, but
if you don't need to do it for a while, they will be resolved.

> An upcoming solution for us might be the Nokia N900 if Maemo has Kontact
> compatible PIM integrated - or preferably Kontact for low resolution
> displays. It would be surely a nice thing to only sync files from
> Smartphone to PC like you can do with unison or whatever you use for
> file sync. I will watch that device and Maemo too. On the Maemo website
> their seems to be a package which switches Maemo to a regular Debian
> Distro. So it seems to me that you then can install whatever you want.
> I will try to get a test device somewhere in my town. Maybe this might
> be *the* solution.
>
> Yes, i know that there will be a time when i have to switch. But i will
> i do it at the latest moment possible.

If/when you need to switch, you could be right in choosing Nokia.  They are
committed to working with KDE in a number of areas.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group