[kdepim-users] Support for palm devices in KDE SC 4.4 and beyond?

Aharon Schkolnik aschkolnik at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 07:52:11 GMT 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010, Ecaroh wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i am using Kpilot with the last KDE 3.5.10 and a Palm Treo 650. Although
> the device is not the youngest it does all i need: Kontacts, Tasks and
> a Calendar. And really, it does what it should - not less, not more.

I completely agree with the "not less, not more" perspective. I am
currently using a palm m515, and it does exactly what I need. However, it
is very important that it sync smoothly with KDE, and I can see there isn't
much hope for that in the future.

So, my question is: what shall I buy ?
I'm talking about picking up something relatively cheap on e-bay, that does
what I need (Kontacts, Tasks, Calendar) and that syncs with KDE (and
hopefully will continue to sync with KDE for quite a while).

Suggestions ?

> I gave KDE 4.x a try, but all the same, i do not see any effort over KDE
> 3.x. For me as an office (power) user time management, tasks and
> contacts are to urgent to give all working processes away for some
> fancy google stuff or some shiny desktop widgets. And KDE 4.x PIM was
> to unstable for my production enviroment.
>
> And also as a very difficult thing i consider the switch from flat text
> files to databases in all Kontact parts from KDE 3.x to KDE 4.x.
> Whatever i want to sync or to exchange with different computers, the
> flat text files are easy to maintain and to handle.
>

> Remark: Do you remember? Some years ago Palm announced a small notebook
> (now called netbook) together with a Smartphone which should make
> (automagicaly) a seamless sync between the two devices. I really want
> to know why they stopped the development. Was it M$ who circumvent the
> further devlopment? Or is the Palm Pre their serious solution to the
> vanishing profit? However, Palm snafued it with the Pre. Palm has been
> the hardware provider for business needs. Not to mary Google. What the
> f... did they do? Anyway, my hope was that Palm comes not only with a
> Linux kernel but with a _local_ Linux sync. They really missed it and
> pissed me off.
>

> An upcoming solution for us might be the Nokia N900 if Maemo has Kontact
> compatible PIM integrated - or preferably Kontact for low resolution
> displays. It would be surely a nice thing to only sync files from
> Smartphone to PC like you can do with unison or whatever you use for
> file sync. I will watch that device and Maemo too. On the Maemo website
> their seems to be a package which switches Maemo to a regular Debian
> Distro. So it seems to me that you then can install whatever you want.
> I will try to get a test device somewhere in my town. Maybe this might
> be *the* solution.
>
> Yes, i know that there will be a time when i have to switch. But i will
> i do it at the latest moment possible.
>
> And, you are right, Google is in _no way an option_!
>
> What's the conclusion? Stay with the things that work. Avoid the vendor
> lock in trap. Use OpenSource as often as you can. And do not look for
> the newest sparkling stars - even if it is KDE. :-/
>

> 	Ecaroh
>
> Ah, sure i fiddled around with SyncML. But this is another story.
> Kpilot/KDE 3.x and Palm Treo is working. I will stick with that for a
> long while.

  The day is short, and the work is great,    |  Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward   |
  is great, and the Master of the house is    |  aschkolnik at gmail.com
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2    |  054 3344135