[kdepim-users] Support for palm devices in KDE SC 4.4 and beyond?
ecaroh at gmx.de
Fri Jan 8 11:34:06 GMT 2010
Am Freitag 08 Januar 2010 schrieb Aharon Schkolnik:
> I completely agree with the "not less, not more" perspective. I am
> currently using a palm m515, and it does exactly what I need.
> However, it is very important that it sync smoothly with KDE, and I
> can see there isn't much hope for that in the future.
> So, my question is: what shall I buy ?
> I'm talking about picking up something relatively cheap on e-bay,
> that does what I need (Kontacts, Tasks, Calendar) and that syncs with
> KDE (and hopefully will continue to sync with KDE for quite a while).
> Suggestions ?
After my long long inquiry around _local_ (!) sync solutions between
smartphones and KDE in the past two years my conclusion is (at time of
this posting) very pessimistic:
- Sync solutions from a vendor - duh, never has been an option.
- SyncML is still under heavy development - not an option.
- As stated, KDE 4 / Palm - not an option anymore.
- Palm Pre / Android / ... relies on Google - not an option.
- Sync with Sync-Providers like funambol etc.. - not an option.
- Maemo (Nokia N900) - might become an option.
So, you can make a conclusion:
- There is no local sync (USB/WLAN/BT) software solution under actual
desktop environments with actual smartphones.
(If somebody knows a solution i will consider your amazon wishlist)
- SyncML via Internet: your milage may vary. You can use some sync
services like remember the milk or funambol.
- Stay with KDE 3.5.10 Kontact / Palm OS and Kpilot
- Check for updates on Maemo Website
- Check Nokia N900 for usability
- Check the Palm Pre App Store sometimes
- Wait for a working SyncML solution in a) GNU/Linux - KDE
and b) in the desired smartphone.
--HTH-- i know that my answer does not solve the problem :-(
PS: Thanks to Debian release policies: Squeeze will not release before
Summer 2010! Hopefully they delay the release for some more months so i
can stay with that what i have: A working sync solution! :-)
KDE PIM users mailing list
kdepim-users at kde.org
More information about the kdepim-users