[kdepim-users] Support for palm devices in KDE SC 4.4 and beyond?

Ecaroh ecaroh at gmx.de
Sat Jan 9 12:26:19 GMT 2010

Hi KDEPIM users!

Sorry if i have started a longer discussion here. But i am very annoyed
the last two years regarding the development of smartphones and KDE 4
(Kontact).

Am Freitag 08 Januar 2010 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:

[...]

> This means that it will still be possible to simply copy the flat
> text files, but you will lose some information like tags.

Assuming and trusting that this is true (i simply do not know it) there
is only one answer: If I have to care for something like tags I will
never be sure what to care too next release - and then: surprise,
surprise!!

To come back to the Palm, categories (Tags) are not synching with
Kpilot. You have to self care that you create necessary entries by hand
on both (or three if you have a pc and i.e. a notebook) devices. This
is not what i call usabilty.

It's more like backup: If you have certain things that are not included
by default, it will fail. This is the reason for a simple rule: include
all (in case of backups) and exclude only specific items.

> Regards,
> Ingo

And I stay with the old unix philosophy:

 - KISS (Keep IT simple and stupid)

Sometime it seems to me that KDE is on the way of making a new Kindows.
And maybe some expert here can explain me what efforts i have from
database files for that purpose. I do not know it but the new concepts
are breaking a very old unix philosophy. And you have to have damn good
arguments to change that. Moreover, you need approbiate tools to deal
with databases. For years a text editor was sufficient. What noteable
effort is it worth to change from text to database??

The only thing i really can imagine is discarding all files and
directories and store _everything_ in a real database. All together in
a very new thinking of how to organize and store information. But, if
that will come true, I am not sure if i will drop every GUI and simply
return to a full CLI environment. ;-)

I am not an developer, just a user and sysadmin. Don't blame if there is
something which i do not know but please explain the reasons.

Ecaroh