[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Tue Feb 2 07:25:53 GMT 2010

On Mo, 2010-02-01 at 22:43 +0100, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> I just noticed the N900 smartphone and am pretty impressed. Especially I
> like the fact to have a basically uncrippled and rather open environment
> on my PDA, the fact it's running Linux just tops it off.
>
> However I was not able to find a definitive answer if it's easily
> possible to sync the Maemo default PIM apps with the KDE PIM suite. I'm
> happy about any pointers to docs, good howtos or older mailing list
> threads discussing this topic, I'm willing to RTFM, but could not find
> much concrete information so far.

SyncEvolution [1] can sync with the N900 via Bluetooth+SyncML. It's one
of the two devices that we have tested with so far. It's not perfect: at
least one user had issues with events sent by SyncEvolution not showing
up on the device - which looks to me like a problem of the software on
the device, but the jury is still out on that one.

Regarding SyncEvolution + KDE: there is a backend for Akonadi in the
"akonadi" branch in the git repository. It's not part of regular
releases yet.

> I'd prefer a simple and direct mobile <-> desktop sync solution, but
> it'd also be possible to use some intermediate server software if that
> would be neccessary. It's more important that the sync tools are
> relatively mature and work without much hassle, without custom patching
> and compiling against some very special versions of some obscure
> libraries, and without eating my appointments for breakfast - to
> summarise, I'm hoping for some sync solution which just works "out of
> the box".

As you probably noticed already, SyncEvolution is not there yet. Both
the direct sync feature and the KDE support are still under development.

If you are concerned about your data, then there's at least some
reassurance: SyncEvolution does automtic backups each time it syncs and
can restore to that, so if something goes wrong, there's a way back.

[1] http://syncevolution.org
--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de