[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 22:06:31 GMT 2010

On 1 Feb 2010, at 21:43, Gunter Ohrner wrote:

> I just noticed the N900 smartphone and am pretty impressed. Especially I
> like the fact to have a basically uncrippled and rather open environment
> on my PDA, the fact it's running Linux just tops it off.

> I'd prefer a simple and direct mobile <-> desktop sync solution, but
> it'd also be possible to use some intermediate server software if that
> would be neccessary. It's more important that the sync tools are
> relatively mature and work without much hassle, without custom patching
> and compiling against some very special versions of some obscure
> libraries, and without eating my appointments for breakfast - to
> summarise, I'm hoping for some sync solution which just works "out of
> the box".

I can't speak for the N900 but my Android phones (I had a G1 and now have a Nexus One) both are Linux based, open-source and sync flawlessly in the background with my Google Contacts, Calendar and Mail all of which are work perfectly with KDE PIM. The only custom thing you need is an Akonadi resource for the contacts and calendar which is stable and I haven't had any problems with.

Personally I've found the Android syncing to be better than any other mobile phone syncing solution I've ever seen (including Nokia S60, N810, iPhone, Windows Mobile). It just works transparently and quickly and I've never seen any duplicates, even when it was on Android 1.0.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur