[kdepim-users] Akonadi woes

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 19:20:17 GMT 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010 19:03:32 Ronny Standtke wrote:
> > Now it magically works.
>
> I got my hopes up too soon...
>
> Where are my distribution lists now? I can find them nowhere. I already
> lost them once (upgrading from 3.5.9 to 3.5.10 was also some "fun"). The
> difference is that in 3.5.10 I could just create my distribution lists
> again from scratch. Now with 4.4 I do not find anything in kontact where I
> could create new distribution lists. Where is all this stuff?
>
> I just noticed Anne's thread (early January):
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=126260422023582&w=2
>
> Does this mean that 4.4 was shipped without fixing the bugs already
> mentioned by Anne in early January?

This is where I wish it were possible to delete threads in the archives.  That
thread is very misleading.  For a start, the distlists file mentioned hasn't
been used, to my knowledge, for around 2 years.  At that time distribution
lists became integral to the addressbook.

I spoke to the developers to find out the situation.  This isn't a bug, in
terms of something working wrongly.  It's a feature that is still under
development.  They won't be called distribution lists - that's what Groups is
for.  You can create new groups now - that part is done - but at the moment
there is no migration tool to move your old ones into groups.  What I did was
search my addressbook for entries that used a keyword, then created a Group
including those entries.  It's not the long-term answer, but it does work and
doesn't take too much time if your lists are not too long.  If you have
distlists of hundreds of addresses, though, I can see it being a problem.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group