[kdepim-users] akonadi default cache policy?

Heiko Falk Heiko.Falk at tu-dortmund.de
Wed Feb 10 08:39:37 GMT 2010

Dear all,

since quite some days, I'm trying to hotsync my Palm TX with KDE 4.3.1 under
opensuse 11.2.

I experienced the following situation: I use KDE's standard local files
std.ics and std.vcf to store my contacts and appointments, as usual under
~/.kde4/share/apps/[kabc|korganizer]. I have configured akonadi such that
it's aware of these two local files. In the akonadi console, I can browse the
cached contents of these two files and see the actual payloads.

Then, I entered a new appointment in kontact/korganizer. Unfortunately, this
new appointment didn't make it into the akonadi cache. However, this
appointment was already present in the local file std.ics. As a consequence,
an immediately following hotsync using kpilot didn't transfer that event to
my Palm device. Only after manually restarting akonadi, I saw in the console
that akonadi imported the new appointment.

Do you have some idea about how to achieve that modifications of the local
files std.vcf and std.ics are immediately imported into the akonadi cache? I
saw that in akonadiconsole, you have the option to configure cache policies
per akonadi collection. However, I didn't find any documentation about these
switches.

Thus, the actual questions I have and where I'd like to ask you for some
hints, are:
1. What is the 'cache policy from parent' that is by default checked in
   the cache tab of a collection's properties in akonadiconsole?
2. What is the meaning of the settings in this dialog? Is there a way to
   make akonadi not to cache my local files std.vcf and std.ics at all,
   and instead always check these two files when some client application
   like e.g. kpilot makes requests to the akonadi server?

Many thanks in advance for your help, best

  Heiko

Dr. Heiko Falk

TU Dortmund University
Department of Computer Science 12