[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Sat Feb 13 21:12:18 GMT 2010

On Fr, 2010-02-12 at 11:56 +0100, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> Patrick Ohly wrote:
> >> Ok, thanks for clarifying!
> > I don't think I'm doing a good job at that ;-}
>
> We're getting closer. ;)
>
> If I may provide a suggestion for improving SyncEvolution's "About" web
> page (http://syncevolution.org/about):
>
> To me, as someone who has never used yncML before, the implications of
> SyncEvolution not supporting calendar entries if compiled for an Nxxx
> device did not become clear.
>
> Maybe one could rephrase the first paragraph to something like:
>
> *********
[...]

I'm going to rephrase the introduction. I'll probably have to keep it
very simple (no details about specific platforms) and then add the fine
print about what works and what doesn't elsewhere.

> Ok. Alternatively, could the standard SyncML implementation shipped with
> the N900 act as a server and SyncEvolution on the PC act as a client,
> eliminating the need for an external server?

That depends on how capable the builtin server is. In principle it
should work. On the PC you would have to install obexd >= 0.19 with its
SyncEvolution plugin enabled, so that connection requests from the N900
get forwarded to SyncEvolution.

> http://syncevolution.org/documentation states that SyncEvolution does
> not have a server mode and does not sync with a mobile device directly.

The web site documents the stable release, 0.9.2, which doesn't have a
server mode. 1.0 beta introduces that, but the web site hasn't been
updated yet. Partly because of lack of time, partly because it is still
a bit experimental.

[Bluetooth]
> Ie. this would already be possible using SyncEvolution 0.9, if it could
> sync with Akonadi? (In other words, as of today it's possible if PC
> would be running Evolution instead of KDE PIM.)

No, because 0.9.x doesn't support Bluetooth.

> > probably will be safer to use SyncEvolution as server and the N900 as
> > client.
>
> Ok, that would be possible with SyncEvolution 1.0 and a matching
> Akonadi-backend for SyncEvolution? (If I understood that correctly,
> that's the scenario mentioned by you above.)

Yes.

> >> Setup 2:
> >>   ______________                                ____________________
> >>  |  PC with KDE |                              | |      N900      | |
> >>  |     and      | )))    <- Some Link ->   ((( | |      with      | |
> >>  |SyncEvolution |                              | |  SyncEvolution | |
> >>  ----------------                               --------------------
> >> /xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\                              |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> >> ------------------                               ------------------
> >
> > In this scenario, SyncEvolution on the PC would have to act as SyncML
> > server and SyncEvolution on the N900 as client. It would allow you to
> > avoid the builtin software on the N900. The link can be HTTP (needs
> > syncevo-http-server.py on PC) and Bluetooth (needs obexd with
> > SyncEvolution plugin on PC). There's one limitation: the N900 has to
> > initiate the connection.
>
> Ok. Would it be preferrable to use SyncEvolution on the N900 instead of
> its built-in SyncML implementation? If so, why?

It would be preferable because both sides are open source and can (and
will) be fixed if problems are found. There may also be technical
advantages. The Synthesis engine used by SyncEvolution is the best
implementation of SyncML that I have come across so far.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de
http://www.estamos.de/