[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] Syncing Maemo PIM apps with KDE PIM 4.3/4.4

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Thu Feb 11 08:08:05 GMT 2010

On Mi, 2010-02-10 at 22:42 +0100, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> Patrick Ohly wrote:
> >> So my assumption was wrong, and you cannot sync anything but contacts
> >> between Evolution and another PIM data store,
>
> > You can sync contacts, events, tasks and notes between SyncEvolution
> > and most SyncML servers. The limiting factor is the server, not
> > SyncEvolution.
>
> Ok, thanks for clarifying!

I don't think I'm doing a good job at that ;-}

> >> However, that'd still be ok for me, as if I try to sync Akonado with
> >> a Maemo 5 device, and SyncEvolution supports all data types for Maemo
> >> and for Akonadi (sometime in the future), I'd be able to sync
> >> everything, right?
>
> > Yes.
>
> Mh, now you're confusing me again. ;) If I sync Akonadi with the N900,
> does Evolution also need to be the server on the N900?

No. SyncEvolution 1.0 beta, running as SyncML server on a Linux desktop,
can talk via Bluetooth to the SyncML implementation that is already in
the N900.

> From what you said above, and how I first understood how SyncEvolution
> works, for syncing an N900 with KDE-PIM it should suffice if
> SyncEvolution supports syncing all data types with Akonadi?

Correct. That is what is currently missing, in any of the scenarios.

> Setup 1:
>   ______________                                ____________________
>  |  PC with KDE |                              | |    N900 with   | |
>  |     and      | ))) <- Bluetooth Link -> ((( | |     internal   | |
>  |SyncEvolution |                              | |  SyncML Server | |
>  ----------------                               --------------------
> /xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\                              |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> ------------------                               ------------------

You could use the SyncML server inside the N900 like this, but it
probably will be safer to use SyncEvolution as server and the N900 as
client.

> Setup 2:
>   ______________                                ____________________
>  |  PC with KDE |                              | |      N900      | |
>  |     and      | )))    <- Some Link ->   ((( | |      with      | |
>  |SyncEvolution |                              | |  SyncEvolution | |
>  ----------------                               --------------------
> /xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\                              |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
> ------------------                               ------------------

In this scenario, SyncEvolution on the PC would have to act as SyncML
server and SyncEvolution on the N900 as client. It would allow you to
avoid the builtin software on the N900. The link can be HTTP (needs
syncevo-http-server.py on PC) and Bluetooth (needs obexd with
SyncEvolution plugin on PC). There's one limitation: the N900 has to
initiate the connection.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de