[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 23:40:09 GMT 2010

But the problem with that is that Yahoo happily sells anything on its servers to any agency that asks...for about 40 dollars a pop.  In addition, I currently use Kontact to aggregate a bunch of different addresses and already ssh into it from a home server.  But there are many times when I am away from the internet and need to access my calendar or contacts, such as when I am on a train writing postcards.  At times like that it would be nice to have a non-online way to use Kontact, one which would then (if I for example added an address that someone had given me) upsync to the server the next time I am online.

I suppose the idea of not wanting Yahoo (or any megacorp) to have reams of data on me is already passe, but my question is whether there is a way to do this using Kontact and a home server...and whether Kontact can be run in an offline mode.

Maybe I am missing the Yahoo IMAP concept but it seems like the exact opposite of what I am trying to do.  If I wanted an online calendar and addressbook, Google has them, so does Yahoo...but I want to use Kontact.

AnkiOnline (a flashcard program) has a great, totally user transparent sync...it would be hugely useful if something similar is available for Kontact as well.

Again, many thanks for any and all suggestions.