[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Feb 8 11:04:42 GMT 2010

2010/2/7 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:

>> > I don't understand how this works.  DIMAP stores IMAP locally, but
>> > doesn't act as a server on the WAN/Internet, does it?
>>
>> of course, it doesn't :)
>> the whole thing is quite simple: you just tell kontact, that a
>> specific folder on the IMAP server is used to store address data,
>> and when you look at this folder in kmail, you see that it is filled
>> with 'messages' which are nothing else than vcard files, one for
>> each contact.
>> then configure kontact to use this a a ressource for addressbook.
>> that's all.
>> and, well, as this folder is cached via DIMAP, you have automatically
>> access to the addresses, even when you are offline.
>> moreover, addresses added while offline, will be synce'd back to the
>> server next time you are online and hit 'check for mail'...
>
> Exactly. And for events, to-dos and journal entries it works the same
> way. But that's not all. Using shared IMAP folders you can easily
> realize shared calendars and address books. It's really amazing how
> simple it is to use a normal IMAP server as groupware server with
> Kontact.

This sounds promising for my situation.  Exchange (which I use at
work) is not IMAP, but I can access it with the IMAP protocol.
Exchange actually creates "mail" folders for notes, contacts, etc.  I
am foing to try to see if Kontact can read and display this exchange
data this way.  I am still a bit unclear about what I get with DIMAP
other than a local cache.  Would I need DIMAP to make this work if I
don't care about a local copy?

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface