[kdepim-users] Copy Contacts to Android

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:24:04 BST 2010

On Thursday 19 August 2010 19:11:09 Donald F. Robertson wrote:
> I have just obtained a HTE Hero Android phone.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the data from the various Kontact
> applications -- especially KAddressBook -- into the phone in usable form?
>
> I'd also like to get the Calendar ported over, but that's a lower priority.
>
> Assuming true syncing is not available, I'd like to go back the other way
> -- phone to Kontact -- periodically.
>
> Thanks!

Your contacts data is stored as a .vcf (i.e. multicontact vCard file) in a
location of the form: /home/username/.kde(or .kde4)/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf

If you copy the file to the SD card you use with the Android, whether directly
or by USB/bluetooth/etc, and then run up the Contacts application, choose
Import/Export, and "Import contacts from SD card".

My own Android (a Samsung Galaxy) successfully imported all 1,012 contacts
from the .vcf and even managed to deduplicate the file against the ones on the
SIM card.

You can, if you wish, link this with a Google service, but it's not necessary.
KDE calendar data is stored in a similar fashion, but under
./.kde/share/apps/korganizer, or you can choose Export from the calendar menu
and either .vcs (vCal) or .ics (iCal) format.

Somebody really militant could set up a KDE device action to fire when the
device is USB connected and rsync the folders involved, although a health
warning would be necessary that if anything went wrong with the SD card, you
might lose data.
--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail to
lists complaining about them